Sunday, February 2, 2014

Vanity up-cycle DIY

Aloha lovelies,
                  

                   While most people spent their weekend in preparation for super bowl, I spent this weekend working on a little (well not so little) DIY up-cycle project to create a vanity/workspace for myself!

                        Chalk paint is my new obsession, it is ridiculously easy to use in projects; no need to prime, sand or any of that mess prior to painting (although I do usually prefer to give my work surface a light sand). I find that the paint dries pretty quickly which is nice because you can knock out a full blow project easily in a weekend.

                          For this weekends project rather than invest in a new vanity or desk I opted to up-cycle a desk that I have had since I was a pre-teen. Given the fact that I am 28 now the desk has seen much better days, so a facelift was long overdue!
Before picture of my desk

 

               As you can see from the photo above the desk was a honey color prior to painting. My husband and I gave the entire desk a quick sanding with a power sander, whipped it down with a dry rag then we drilled holes for the hardware. Next I applied a dark brown chalk paint as my base coat. Once the base coat was dry (about an hour) I then applied Emerald Isle, my chosen main color (a vibrant green).
               I allowed the green coat to dry another hour then applied a second coat for maximum opacity. After another hour, I filled a small container with water and went in with a rag and began the distressing process. Basically you just take off paint by rubbing the surface with the wet rag as you see fit. Once you are content with how the piece looks let it dry fully then either set the entire thing with a piece of chalk (if you want to use it as a chalk board) or go over it with a finishing gloss to protect it and seal it. I used a sealant. While waiting for the seal to dry I applied some gold metallic wax to my hardware then sealed those as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment